Each year, beginning in 2013, Gamma Theta Epsilon recognizes outstanding chapters with Honors Chapters and Presidential Honors Chapters awards. Chapters apply for awards in the spring when they submit their annual chapter report, which is due by June 15th.
Chapter Awards Criteria
Winners of Chapter Awards
|2017||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State University|
|2017||Honors Chapter||Mu Kappa||Hofstra University|
|2017||Honors Chapter||Beta Psi||Kansas State University, Manhattan|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Alpha Phi||University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Beta Psi||Kansas State University|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Delta Tau||University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Kappa Lambda||St. Cloud State University|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Kappa Upsilon||Texas State University|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Lambda Upsilon||Grand Rapids Community College|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State College|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Mu Chi||University of South Florida St. Petersburg|
|2016||Honors Chapter||Mu Kappa||Hofstra University|
|United Arab Emirates University|
|Jacksonville State University|
|2015||Presidential Honors||Eta Chi||Northern Michigan University|
|2015||Presidential Honors||Kappa Upsilon||Texas State University|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Alpha Alpha||University of North Texas|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Alpha Phi||University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Beta Psi||Kansas State University|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Eta Eta||University of Wyoming|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Lambda Rho||Youngstown State University|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State College|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Mu Chi||University of South Florida|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Mu Delta||University of Richmond|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Mu Kappa||Hofstra University|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Theta||Arizona State University|
|2015||Honors Chapter||Mu Psi||United Arab Emirates University|
|2014||Presidential Honors||Kappa Upsilon||Texas State University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State College|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Zeta Xi||University of Toledo|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Eta Chi||Northern Michigan University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Beta Xi||University of Missouri|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Chi||Oklahoma State University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Eta Lambda||Villanova University|
|2014||Honors Chapter||Beta Psi||Kansas State University|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Epsilon||Missouri State University|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Gamma Psi||Kutztown University|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Iota Phi||University of Florida|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Kappa Upsilon||Texas State University-San Marcos|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Epsilon Kappa||Macalester College|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Lambda Zeta||Wayne State College|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Lambda Upsilon||Grand Rapids Community College|
|2013||Honors Chapter||Mu Alpha||DePaul University|
Chapters will be recognized as Honors Chapters that meet the following criteria over an academic year:
Complete all of the following:
- Increase the number of new inductees over the previous year or induct at least 2 new members for programs that only award associates degrees, 5 new members for programs that only award bachelor's degrees, or new 8 members for programs that award masters and/or doctoral degrees over an academic year.
- Provide leadership for at least two events designed to promote geography during the academic year.
- Help promote geography by submitting a minimum of two posts per year on the Gamma Theta Upsilon International Facebook page. Summaries and photos of chapter news and activities are particularly welcome (but first obtain permission of the GTU members described in the post and shown in the photo). Visit the GTU Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/GammaThetaUpsilonInternational/. Post an update and a photo if relevant in the box at the top of the timeline where it says, "Write something on this page." After hitting Enter, the content will appear in the Visitor Posts. Site administrators will review the submission and upload the content into the main timeline if approved. Each post submitted should include the chapter name and university, and groups seeking chapter honors should include in the annual report a list of dates when material was posted on the GTU International Facebook page.
- The Faculty Sponsor must be a verified member of GTU International Geographical Honor Society for a chapter to be eligible to receive an Honors Chapter Award or Presidential Honors Award. A Faculty Sponsor who is not a member of GTU should submit his or her name with an initiate report and pay the $40 membership dues before submitting the annual report that serves as the application for chapter awards.
- By June 15 submit an annual report to the 2nd Vice President that documents all requirements listed above.
Honors Chapters will receive a certificate of merit and letter from the International GTU President. Honors Chapters may display a special logo on their website. Awards will be announced in August of each year.
Chapters will be recognized as Presidential Honors Chapters that meet the following criteria over an academic year:
Complete all of the following:
- Meet all requirements to be an Honors Chapter.
- Plan and implement at least one activity of any kind each month during the regular academic year.
- Host an event to which you invite GTU members who are alumni of your university's GTU chapter.
- Provide evidence of campus/community or national leadership to promote geography through two or more of the following:
- provide leadership for at least six activities to promote geography during the academic year (including the two required for Honors Chapter status). Geography Awareness Week and other activities that raise awareness of geography to a public beyond the GTU chapter will be considered evidence of leadership in this area.
- at least three visits to K-12 schools by GTU members.
- submission of student authored or co-authored article to The Geographical Bulletin by one or more chapter members.
- presentation of a student authored paper or poster at a regional or national AAG or NCGE meeting by one or more student chapter members.
- participate in the GTU/AAG Visiting Scientist Program.
- Nominate one or more chapter members for a national GTU scholarship (Buzzard Undergraduate Scholarship, Buzzard Graduate Scholarship, Maxfield Scholarship, Richason Scholarship or Rechlin Scholarship).
- Sponsor a new GTU chapter at a college (or community college) or university that doesn't have one or assist an inactive chapter reactivate. Chapters should consult the chapter map on the GTU web site and contact their regional councilor or the GTU executive secretary for assistance in finding and sponsoring institutions that lack a chapter or that may be inactive.
Presidential Honors Chapters will receive a certificate of merit and letter from the International GTU President. Presidential Honors Chapters may display a special logo on their website. Awards will be announced in August of each year.