The Geographical Bulletin
This scholarly journal is published twice a year by GTU. Articles concerning any area of geographical interest are solicited from students and faculty. Initiates receive two free issues after initiation and may subsequently renew their subscription.
Editorial policy and instructions to authors
All manuscripts must be in acceptable format and ready for peer review. Contributions to The Geographical Bulletin of Gamma Theta Upsilon should follow the general specifications noted below:
- All manuscripts should be double-spaced on 8 ½” x 11” page size with 1 ½” margins.
Use 10 or 12 point fonts only. Use the same type style and font size throughout the paper. Please italicize
book and periodical titles.
- Submit 1) a digital copy of the manuscript in Microsoft Word format, 2) all figure/table files, and 3) a separate
Word file with all figure/table captions. Give the tables and figures consistent titles, with the author’s
name in each (e.g., SmithFigure1.jpg; SmithTable2.xls; SmithCaptions.doc). If the files are too large to submit
as e-mail attachments, either use an online file-sending service, or submit a CD or DVD with all files via regular
mail to the address below.
- The review copy of the article should be blind; that is, it should contain no information that would identify the
author to a potential reviewer. Include full contact information in your submission e-mail.
- All line drawings and graphics must be suitable for reduction to 7.5 by 5 inches. Maps must have scales, a ﬁne
neat line serving as a boundary, and patterns which will tolerate reduction. All graphics and photographs should
be black and white and of professional quality. Digital copies of all figures, drawings, photos and other graphics
are required, in JPG format, at least 300 dpi. For purposes of review, scans of draft maps are acceptable.
Do not embed figures and tables in the manuscript file.
- References, tables, charts and other graphics such as maps and photographs should be cited parenthetically
in the text as follows: (Wilhelm 1998), (Table 3), or (Fig. 2). If a published statement is quoted, use page
numbers e.g. (Wilhelm 1999, 3–4). Double space references on a separate page immediately following the
text. Appendices and postscripts are to be avoided. Endnotes should be used sparingly. All references
cited in the text should be listed and double-spaced alphabetically by author as noted below:
Knapp, B. D. 1993. Soil Survey of Presque Isle County, Michigan. United States Department of Agriculture. Soil Conservation Service. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
Meyer-Arendt, K. and Hartman, R. D. 1998. Casino Gambling in America. In: Marglin, F. A. (ed.) Dominating Knowledge: Development, Culture and Resistance. New York: Stanford University Press, pp. 217–228.
Smith, N. W. 1996. The New Urban Frontier. London: Routledge.
Zukin, S. and Baskerville, R. W. 1998. From Coney Island to Las Vegas in the Urban Imaginary. Urban Affairs Review, 33(5): 647–654.
U.S. Census Bureau. 2007. Subcounty Population Estimates. [http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2006.states.html]. Last accessed 2 July 2007.
- Include an abstract of up to 150 words double-spaced followed by up to ﬁve key words. The abstract
should state the objective, methods and conclusions of the paper, and should appear on a separate page.
- It is the author’s responsibility to obtain copyright release in writing to use copyrighted material. Authors
should write their papers in the active voice.
- The editor strongly recommends that student manuscripts be reviewed by a faculty member for editorial comments prior to submission.
Send electronic copies of all manuscripts to:
Dr. Steven M. Schnell
Editor, The Geographical Bulletin
Department of Geography
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
Kutztown, PA 19530
Telephone: (610) 683-1595
E-mail: [email protected]