The Geographical Bulletin
This scholarly journal is published twice a year by GTU. Articles concerning any area of geographical interest are solicited from students and faculty. Initiates receive two free issues after initiation and may subsequently renew their subscription.
Editorial policy and instructions to authors
All manuscripts must be in acceptable format and ready for peer review. The editor strongly recommends that student manuscripts be reviewed by a faculty member and/or advisor, and those editorial comments be implemented prior to submission. All manuscripts undergo a double-blind peer review.
Contributions to The Geographical Bulletin of Gamma Theta Upsilon should follow these general specifications:
- All manuscripts should be double-spaced on 8 ½" x 11" page size with 1 ½" margins. Use 10 or 12 point fonts only. Use the same type style and font size throughout the paper. Please italicize book and periodical titles.
- A full submission includes: 1) a digital copy of the manuscript in Microsoft Word format, 2) all figure/table files, and 3) a separate Word file with all figure/table captions. Give the tables and figures consistent titles, with the author's name in each (e.g., SmithFigure1.jpg; SmithTable2.xls; SmithCaptions.doc). If the files are too large to submit as e-mail attachments, please use an online file-sharing service such as Dropbox or Google Drive, and make all related files available to the Editor.
- The review copy of the article should be blind. That is, it should contain no information that would identify the author to a potential reviewer. Include full contact information in your submission e-mail, including: Name(s) of author(s) and author order, affiliation(s) and address(es), and email address(es). If applicable, please include which authors are students, as well as their status and level (e.g., enrolled, undergraduate).
- All line drawings and graphics must be suitable for reduction to 7.5 by 5 inches. Maps must have scales, a ﬁne neat line serving as a boundary, and patterns which will tolerate reduction. Color graphics and photographs should be of sufficient contrast and saturation, and of professional quality. Digital copies of all figures, drawings, photos, and other graphics are required, in JPG format, at least 300 dpi. For purposes of review, scans of draft maps are acceptable. Do NOT embed figures or tables in the manuscript file. These should be included as noted in number 2 of this instruction list.
- References, tables, charts, and other graphics such as maps and photographs should be cited parenthetically in the text as follows: (Wilhelm 1998), (Table 3), or (Fig. 2). If a published statement is quoted, use page numbers e.g. (Wilhelm 1999, 3-4). Double space references on a separate page immediately following the text. Long appendices and postscripts are to be avoided. Endnotes should be used sparingly. All references cited in the text should be listed alphabetically by author and double-spaced between entries following standard APA style as noted here, with citations from online sources (i.e., websites and webpages) listing the date the URL was last accessed:
Knapp, B. D. 1993. Soil Survey of Presque Isle County, Michigan. United States Department of Agriculture. Soil Conservation Service. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
Meyer-Arendt, K. and Hartman, R. D. 1998. Casino Gambling in America. In: Marglin, F. A. (ed.) Dominating Knowledge: Development, Culture and Resistance. New York: Stanford University Press, pp. 217–228.
Smith, N. W. 1996. The New Urban Frontier. London: Routledge.
U.S. Census Bureau. 2007. Subcounty Population Estimates. [http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2006.states.html]. Last accessed 2 July 2007.
Zukin, S. and Baskerville, R. W. 1998. From Coney Island to Las Vegas in the Urban Imaginary. Urban Affairs Review, 33(5): 647–654.
Include an abstract of up to 150 words, double-spaced and followed by up to ﬁve key words. The abstract should state the objective, methods, and conclusions of the paper, and should appear on a separate page.
- It is the author's responsibility to obtain copyright release in writing to use copyrighted material. Authors should write their papers in the active voice.
Send electronic copies of all manuscripts to:
Dr. Casey D. Allen
Editor, The Geographical Bulletin
Email: [email protected]