Scholarships - Instructions
Scholarship application guidelines for 2018 will be posted by February 15, 2018.
Gamma Theta Upsilon, The International Geographical Honor Society, offers five scholarships to
reward academic achievement and service to local GTU chapters. Each scholarship carries an
award of $1000.
Application Procedures for all GTU Scholarships:
Appllications must be submitted by e-mail by June 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time.
Complete application packets shall contain the following:
- A cover page. Download template.
A 1-2 page résumé that includes (among other things) permanent mailing and e-mail
addresses, academic history, academic major/minor, cumulative and geography GPAs,
honors received, and affirmation of membership in a local GTU chapter.
- A personal essay which includes (1) a statement of contributions to the local GTU chapter and geography-related projects, (2) a summary of academic and career plans for the future, and (3) a short indication of how the scholarship will help the applicant personally and professionally. For the Buzzard undergraduate and graduate scholarships, you must state that you have been accepted into or are already enrolled in a specific graduate program.
- Unofficial copies of undergraduate (and graduate if appropriate) transcripts. If you receive one of the GTU scholarships, you will then be asked to submit official transcripts.
Two letters of recommendation (signed and dated), and submitted electronically following
- One letter should be from the faculty sponsor of the local GTU chapter. This letter should evaluate the applicant's academic achievements and contributions to GTU and department-related activities.
- The second letter should be from another geography faculty member or department
chair/head. This letter should evaluate the applicant's academic achievements and
contributions to the department.
Faculty references should send letters of recommendation from their official university email address to Susy Ziegler, GTU 1st Vice President, at [email protected] with the subject line: "GTU Scholarship Letter of Recommendation 2017 for [Applicant name]".
Guidelines for E-mail Submission:
Electronically submit your application (excluding the letters of recommendation, which the writers should send following the guidelines in the previous section) via e-mail as an attached, single PDF to [email protected]. Use your university e-mail address unless you have graduated and no longer have one. A single file is preferred, but if it is necessary to do so you may send your transcript copy as a separate PDF attached to the same message.
Please put "GTU Scholarship Application 2017" in the subject line of your e-mail message.
E-mailed applications and two letters of recommendation must be sent by June 1, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time. E-mail applications to Susy Ziegler at [email protected].