Chapter Sponsor Award
Gamma Theta Upsilon has long been known for having truly remarkable chapter sponsors who work very hard to promote student success. Each year, beginning in 2020, Gamma Theta Upsilon recognizes outstanding chapter sponsors with Chapter Sponsor Awards. Nominations for Chapter Sponsor Awards are submitted in the fall, and are due by November 15. Awards are announced in the spring. Details and instructions for nominations are provided below.
Administration and timeline:
- The GTU awards committee, chaired by the 2nd vice president, will administer the award, determine those eligible, and make the final determination of recipients.
- The award rotation will be yearly.
- Nominations and supportive documentation received by November 15.
- After nominations and supportive documents are gathered, the awards committee will then determine the final recipients of the award.
- This award may be given to multiple chapter sponsors in a given year.
- Past recipients may receive this award multiple times.
- To be considered for this award, nominations must include at least two nomination letters. Nomination letters must be from current chapter members or the department chairs or department heads of nominees. Advisors may also nominate themselves for this award.
- Nominations must include evidence of sponsor excellence, as stipulated below.
Criteria for eligibility:
- Candidates must be a GTU member (validated by GTU executive secretary); and
- Must be the officially recognized sponsor for the chapter for which they claim to be the advisor (validated by GTU executive secretary); and
- Must demonstrate (a) strong evidence of chapter leadership, (b) promotion of geography and GTU, and (c) engagement of academic and off-campus communities. Examples may include (but are not limited to):
- Stimulate chapter growth by increasing or maintaining membership;
- Demonstrate consistent and effective chapter leadership for on and off campus events designed to promote geography during the academic year;
- Help promote their chapter's dedication to geography by promoting the Gamma Theta Upsilon International Facebook page;
- Support members of their chapter in submitting articles for publication to The Geographical Bulletin;
- Support members of their chapter in presenting of a student authored paper or poster at a regional or national AAG or NCGE meetings;
- Nominate one or more chapter members for a national GTU scholarship (Buzzard Undergraduate Scholarship, Buzzard Graduate Scholarship, Maxfield Scholarship, Richason Scholarship or Rechlin Scholarship);
- Provide leadership and guidance for new chapter sponsors.
- After the GTU awards committee determines the recipients of the GTU Chapter Sponsor Award, they will forward the recipient information to the GTU president.
- Congratulatory letters will be sent from the GTU president to the recipients and their respective department chairs and department heads.
- Recipients will also receive a certificate suitable for framing from GTU.
Questions should be directed to the current GTU 2nd vice-president (Dr. Karen D. Johnson-Webb, [email protected]).